In some business scenarios, it is required to understand how to log and alert details of failed login attempts to MicroStrategy Intelligence Server with the client IP address and the type of failure in MicroStrategy 9.0.1.
Follow the steps below in order to log and alert details of failed login attempts to MicroStrategy Intelligence Server with the client IP address and the type of failure:
- Launch the Diagnostics and Performance Logging tool from Start -> Programs -> Microstrategy -> Tools -> Diagnostics Configuration.
- Turn on and from Diagnostics Tool as shown below:
- Login to MicroStrategy project in MicroStrategy Web with an invalid user for example.
- Open DSSErrors log file under path: Program FilesCommon FilesMicroStrategyLog
- Note the following information is recorded regarding this failed login attempt as shown below:
2012-01-10 01:44:14.630-05:00 Login using Standard Security with User=’dahjkfd’
2012-01-10 01:44:14.864-05:00 Incorrect login/password.
2012-01-10 01:44:14.880-05:00 MsiSessionManager::LoginStandardUser(UserName=dahj
kfd, MachineName=Server Machine: 10.16.154.13 Client Machine: 127.0.0.1): Authentication failed: hr = %3.
Note: the log can be interpreted as below:
- IP address of the client machine attempting login which is 10.16.154.13.
- It supplied the MicroStrategy user name that was attempting to login, which is ‘dahjkfd’
- The type of failure is Incorrect login/password.
- Timestamp of the attempted login is “2012-01-10 01:44:14”